Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Oscar Nominations!!!

OSCARS!

The Oscar nominations are out, which means it's time for me to start complaining. Most of the nods were expected, but there were some big surprises and some big snubs.

Well, let's get right into it!


BEST PICTURE
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

James' Take: I'm still not a fan of the 10 nomination process, but at least most of these films were considered worthy. This is a tough call for me. My personal preference is Inception, which I loved. But I think The Social Network is the front-runner and in all honestly, is probably the better film. That said, The King's Speech has some real momentum right now, especially with a leading 12 nominations. I wouldn't be surprised if The King's Speech sneaks in there and steals it.

BEST DIRECTOR:
Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
Coen Brothers, True Grit
David Fincher, The Social Network
Tom Hooper, The King's Speech
David O'Russell, The Fighter

James' Take: Where is Christopher Nolan? This surprises me because Inception is such a directing showcase. No offense to some fine directors who were nominated, but their achievements were probably not as difficult as that trick Nolan pulled off. Fincher is a clear exception to that, and he is probably going to win the award. The Social Network could have been so dull, but Fincher's masterful direction elevated that film into something entertaining and truly special.

BEST ACTOR:
Javiar Bardem, Biutiful
Jeff Bridges, True Grit
Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours

James' Take: I am a bit surprised to see Bardem instead of Ryan Gosling (Blue Valentine), but in the end, it's all kind of moot. This is Colin Firth's Oscar. I have no doubt. And he earned it.

BEST ACTRESS:
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine
Annette Bening, The Kids are All Right

James' Take: This is Natalie Portman's year. Critics have been touting her performance as Oscar worthy since way back before the film was even finished, she is starring in a big hit currently in theaters (No Strings Attached), she is getting good buzz on future projects coming out in early 2011, and on a personal level, she's got a new fiance and a baby on the way. The stars are aligning. This is her moment. Now, there is a tiny chance Annette Bening will win - but if she did it would be a sympathy vote for an excellent actress who keeps getting nominated and never wins. But smart money is on Portman.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Christian Bale, The Fighter
John Hawkes, Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids are All Right
Geoffrey Rush, The King's Speech

James' Take: I am a bit surprised to not see Michael Douglas, given the dramatic year he's had, but this is a strong category with some great actors. Though in the end, this one is just as much of a lock as Actor and Actress. This is Christian Bale's year.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bodham Carter, The King's Speech
Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

James' Take: Surprised Mila Kunis isn't here. Maybe the Academy can't bring themselves to nominate someone from That 70s Show? This is a tougher than the other acting categories. I am leaning towards Melissa Leo, but Carter could get it.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Mike Leigh, Another Year
David Seidler, The King's Speech
Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson, Keith Dorrington, The Fighter
Christopher Nolan, Inception
Lisa Cholodenko, Stuart Blumberg, The Kids are All Right

James' Take: A battle between King's Speech and Inception. It's possible that this award could be Christopher Nolan's consolation prize since he got shafted for Director.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Danny Boyle, Simon Beaufoy, 127 Hours
Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network
Michael Armdt, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich, Toy Story 3
Coen Brothers, True Grit
Debra Granik, Anne Rosellini, Winter's Bone

James' Take: Toy Story 3 was based on something? I was not aware of that. Doesn't matter, though. This award is Sorkin's to lose. Social Network was a superb script, providing a firm foundation for Fincher and Co. to play with.

BEST ANIMATED FILM:
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

James' Take: One day, the Academy is going to get tired to giving the Oscar to Pixar every year. There is going to be an inevitable backlash. It better not be this year because Toy Story 3 really was that good!

BEST FOREIGN FILM:
Biutiful
Dogtooth
In a Better World
Incendies
Outside the Law

James' Take: Uh...still fuzzy on my foreign films this year. I've heard of Biutiful and In a Better World. Not much else to say...

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Black Swan
Inception
The King's Speech
The Social Network
True Grit

James' Take: All very well shot films by some true masters. I love the color palates for Social Network and Inception, but I am rooting for True Grit and Roger Deakins, a 9 time nominee who has never won.

BEST EDITING:
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
The King's Speech
The Social Network

James' Take: How the hell was Inception not nominated for this? Because balancing four separate timelines simultaneously without confusing the audience must be really, really easy? Lame. I actually think this is the snub that annoys me the most!

BEST ART DIRECTION:
The King's Speech
Inception
True Grit

James' Take: To me, even the Art Direction in Alice in Wonderland wasn't so wonderful. And the best stuff in Harry Potter was actually already seen in the previous films. Not sure who will take home this Oscar. I have to think about this one.

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:
Alice in Wonderland
I Am Love
The King's Speech
The Tempest
True Grit

James' Take: Now I did actually like the costumes in Alice in Wonderland, so this nomination doesn't annoy me. I would have to think about this one, too.

BEST MAKEUP:
Barney's Version
The Way Back
The Wolfman

James' Take: When in doubt, always pick Rick Baker (Wolfman). He's a genius.

ORIGINAL SCORE:
A.R. Rahman, 127 Hours
John Powell, How to Train Your Dragon
Hans Zimmer, Inception
Alexandre Desplat, The King's Speech
Trent Rezner and Atticus Ross, The Social Network

James' Take: This award is supposedly a lock for The Social Network, which I guess was fine in the film, but hardly standout. I have problems with Hans Zimmer, but I really liked his work in Inception, and felt it did some real heavy lifting for that movie...special kudos to John Powell; happy to see him pick up a nod for a truly fun score.

ORIGINAL SONG:
"If I Rise" from 127 Hours
"Coming Home" from Country Strong
"I See the Light" from Tangled
"We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3

James' Take: Yeah, Randy Newman sits at a piano again and picks up his 726th nomination for it! Sigh. I don't know who is going to win this one...not my favorite category in the world. Where's a good Bond song when you need one?

SOUND MIXING:
Inception
The King's Speech
Salt
The Social Network
True Grit

James' Take: The King's Speech had a superb mix, but this award should belong to Inception.

SOUND EDITING:
Inception
Toy Story 3
True Grit

James' Take: How did Tron get nominated for this and not Special Effects??? Very weird. I'm happy and surprised to see Unstoppable getting some love. It was a better movie than people realize. But again, I think this Oscar belongs to Inception.

VISUAL EFFECTS:
Alice in Wonderland
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Hereafter
Inception
Iron Man 2

James' Take: Surprised that Tron didn't pick up a nod. Maybe CGI Jeff Bridges scared the voters as much as he scared me. Other than that, though, it was a really nice looking film. I thought Alice in Wonderland was unimpressive, but to fair, I saw the crappy 3-D conversion and I heard the effects were much better in the standard version. Once again, I'm rooting for Inception, for the folding city alone. That was awesome.

BEST DOCUMENTARY:
Exit Through the Gift Shop
GasLand
Inside Job
Restrepo
Waste Land

James' Take: No Waiting for Superman??? That's B.S.

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT:
Killing in the Name
Poster Girl
Strangers No More
Sun Comes Up
The Warriors of Quigang

James' Take: I have no take. Need to see these...

BEST ANIMATED SHORT:
Day and Night
The Gruffalo
Let's Pollute
The Lost Thing
Madagascar, a Journey Diary

James' Take: I haven't seen most of these, but I can't imagine anything being better than Pixar's brilliant Day and Night.

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT:
The Confession
The Crush
God of Love
Na Wewe
Wish 143

James' Take: Haven't seen these...need to get on that...

So there we go. I'd love to hear what all of you think. Any of your favorites get snubbed this year?

4 comments:

  1. My thoughts:
    Animated film: Don't forget the very first animated film was award to a dreamworks picture. Over monsters Inc, of all films too. (grrr). Though HTTYD was a well made film, it lacked the complexity of Toy Story 3 and I don't think it'll win. However, years down the road, between the two, I think HTTYD will go down as more of a 'classic' due to its simple charm. TS3 couldn't have been better, but I don't think it has any chance of taking a position over its predecessors in anyone's hearts and it'll just one day end up being part three of a three DVD Combopack.

    Effects: Inception's pretty, but hard surface stuff isn't too tough to create. The water and destruction simulations were more impressive to me. Harry Potter's character work continues to be refined, but the film had little in the way of a 'wow factor' ...certainly nothing on the level of HP5's wizards duel. Never saw hereafter or Alice, but I don't feel Iron Man 2 earned it over the other noms. So...who knows.

    Score: Inception..I think it's a unique solution and its contributions to the thematics in the movie alone make it deserving. I think inception should get Art Direction too, actually: half of Nolan's success at helping you keep the timeline straight come down to distinct art and palette cues in each timeline.

    Black Swan for editing; very well put together film. The editing is probably what made the film feel so unsettling. Even someone trimming their fingernails made me squirm.
    -joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good comments, Joe! I didn't think about the Art Direction in Inception that way, but now that you mention it, you're right. Pretty cool.

    Hope your wrong about Toy Story 3. I think its the best one of the three!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I'll never forget that Shrek beat Monsters, Inc. Happy Feet also beat Cars. But 6 outta 8 (5 of those in a row) is pretty impressive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was ok with Cars not winning. Wasn't much impressed by the film. Also, I agree, Toy Story 3 was the best of the three. But it was hardly the unexpected charm-surprise-from-nowhere that TS1 was. I certainly think 3 will get the oscar though.It might be nice to see the illusionist pull through for traditional animation's sake though.

    ReplyDelete