Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Winter's Bone

Winter's Bone

Winter's Bone can be summed up easily in one word. BLEAK. I can really think of no other word to describe it. Set in an extremely poor area in the Ozark Mountains, Winter's Bone is the story of Ree (Jennifer Lawrence), a 17-year old girl who basically runs her household, caring for her sick mother and acting as parent to her two young siblings. Her father, a drug dealer, has gone missing. The bigger problem is that he was actually out on bail and the family had put the house up for collateral. If he doesn't appear at his hearing in a week, then the family could lose the house - as dilapidated as it is, the house is the only thing the family has. Without it, they literally have nothing and no place to go.

Desperate, Ree visits her neighbors - many of whom are cousins - to find out where her father is. Everywhere she goes, the answer is the same. Mind your own business. Even her uncle Teardrop (John Hawkes) insists that she stay out of it. But she persists. And things get violent - and even more bleak.

I don't mean to make the film sound depressing. On the contrary, Ree is a terrific heroine, resilient, determined and clever, and her struggles are life-affirming and inspirational in a way. Ree is just a child who has been thrust into acting like an adult before her time, and not only accepting the role, but thriving in it. She is the most mature character in the film, including all the so-called adults around her, who are mostly petty and vindictive. It is a career making performance for Jennifer Lawrence who shines on the screen. I hope she has a long career ahead of her.

The other standout performance is John Hawkes as Teardrop. I don't know what I was expecting from this character, but he was constantly full of surprises. Even if the Teardrop's storyline is a familiar one, I was suckered into it. It's an excellent performance, certainly worthy of the Oscar nod, and I really hope I get to see Hawkes in more films and soon.

Winter's Bone is an excellent film. The pace is slow, but your patience will be rewarded. And I don't care how bleak it is, I definitely think it is worth checking out. I really liked it. 

MVP: This is a really tough call for me. Jennifer Lawrence is so good, and carries the entire film on her back. But the MVP is my personal favorite thing about the movie, and I really took to John Hawkes as Teardrop. All too often in other films, characters like Teardrop make certain decisions not because it makes any sense, but because it is convenient for the plot. Everything Teardrop does makes sense and feels real. This is partially thanks to the skillful script, but these scenes may not have worked with a different actor. Hawkes' conviction as Teardrop makes everything work. It's a performance and a role that consistently surprised me. It's a tough call, but Hawkes gets the win.

TRIVIA: Many of the supporting characters and all the extras were residents of the Missouri area where the film is set, and had never acted before.

OSCAR NOMINATIONS: Best Picture, Best Actress (Jennifer Lawrence), Best Supporting Actor (John Hawkes), Best Adapted Screenplay

BEST LINE: Ree: "I'd be lost without the weight of you two on my back. I ain't going anyhere."

3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything! But would have gone with Jennifer Lawrence. I understand about John Hawke though--his character did a major reversal for me (that was believable) from his first scene to the last. My problem with the movie was that while it was beautiful (bleakly) and realistic (bleakly) and carried by Jennifer Lawrence, it was so very slow to me. The last half-hour or forty-five minutes made it worth it, but I totally zoned out and wrote emails in the first part and felt like, other than a few scenes that I really watched, I didn't miss much. Just too many of the same conversations with people that looked the same. Hey! Did you notice Laura Palmer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps- Jennifer Lawrence looks a bit like Renee Zellweger from the Empire Records days before she did the whole rapid weight gain/loss and started looking skeletal and crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were crazy at first, but I saw some of Jerry Maguire on TV the other day, and I actually think you're right!

    ReplyDelete