Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shaolin Soccer

Shaolin Soccer

Sometimes a movie comes along out of nowhere and just sweeps me off my feet. That is what happened in 2001 when I first saw Shaolin Soccer, a movie that is equal parts bizarre, random, hilarious, and brilliant. Having just watching this movie again last week, I am happy to report that it is still just as bizarre, random, hilarious, and brilliant!

Mighty Steel Leg Sing (played by Chow) is a poor trash collector, but an enthusiastic martial artist with one helluva kick. His dream is to teach the world the benefits of Shaolin and he has been looking for the right platform all his life. After several failed attempts (including a disastrous attempt to wed Shaolin with showtunes), Sing decides that playing soccer is the best showcase for exhibiting his Kung Fu prowess. He gathers his old classmates from the Shaolin temple - Iron Shirt (Kai Man Tin), Iron Head (Yut Fei Wong), Light Weight (Chi Chung Lam), Lightning Hands (Kwok-Khan Chan), and Hooking Leg (Chi Ling Chiu). Along with their coach, former player and now hobo Golden Leg Fung (Man Tat Ng), the Shaolin team enters the soccer competition.

Wow, what a gloriously crazy film. This movie really does have everything. Great fights, good laughs, a slight undercurrent of class struggles in modern day Hong Kong (I'm serious!), a funny romantic interest in steamed bunmaker Mui (Wei Zhao), and fantastic bad guys - the opposing soccer team, The Evil Team. You know they are evil because they are actually called The Evil Team, use American steroids and literally emanate evil from their bodies. The final game between The Evil Team and the Shaolin Team is probably the most epic sports battle in history.

Some people may not like the movie as much as I do. It does take its time to get the plot moving, though I appreciate the pace since I get to know the insane characters better. Other people may not appreciate the broad humor. And I feel sorry for those people.  Shaolin Soccer is my 'happy movie.' There are movies I like more, I own movies that are better made, but I don't think any film makes me as happy as this one. See it. 

MVP: The triple threat - writer, director and star Stephen Chow (who also made Kung Fu Hustle) is a mad genius. Chow excels at all his positions - the movie brims with energetic creativity in its script, directing and central performance. I particularly like that Chow's character Sing isn't perfect, even though he is so pure-hearted. His enthusiasm hurts a lot of people, literally. Just look at how he beats up the nice Puma salesman because he is so excited to be getting new shoes! It's a great performance in a great movie.

BEST LINE: Every time I see it, I have a new favorite line. My current favorite is...

Upon entering the stadium for the first time, well before the game begins -

Sing: "Thank you! Thank you, audience, for your support! Thank you!"
Iron Head: "That is only the cleaning staff."
Sing (slapping him): "Cleaning staff is audience, too."


TRIVIA: In the Italian version of the film, all the main characters were dubbed by professional soccer players.

2 comments: