Monday, October 18, 2010

The Reptile

The Reptile

Considering that The Reptile is the first non-vampire Hammer film I've seen, I wasn't sure what to expect. Interestingly enough, I got more of the same. The Reptile has a lot in common with the vampire movies. It's not terribly original, but is still a solid horror film, mostly due to the efforts of director John Gilling and some good acting.

Charles Spalding has been killed - obviously murdered though the coroner's report reads, "heart failure," and the not so bright townspeople suspect the plague. Charles has left his small house to his brother Harry (Ray Barrett) and Harry's wife Valerie (Jennifer Daniels). Despite the warnings from the friendly neighborhood pub owner Tom Bailey (Michael Ripper) and their creepy neighbor Dr. Franklyn (Noel Willman), the Spaldings decide to move permanently into the little cottage. But then there are more deaths around the town. Can Harry and Valerie solve the mystery of the Reptile before its their turn???

Of course they can. The mystery isn't very hard to figure out. You will know who the Reptile is the second the character arrives on screen. This movie follows a well worn path and there are few surprises in it. But I will admit there are actually a few scares, as well. In the first half of the film especially, there are some surprisingly creepy moments. Director John Gilling makes excellent use of shadows and darkness which create an atmosphere of foreboding even more effectively than in other, better films. There is also an especially good scene involving a sitar performance during a dinner party at Dr. Franklyn's house. The music speeds up, people look at each other uncomfortably and the scene goes bizarrely over-the-top, but is still incredibly effective in creating tension among the guests. This might be the best scene of the movie.

I guess if there is a problem with the film, it is that I was rarely engaged in it. Despite fine acting and solid direction, I found myself intellectually watching it instead of actively being involved in the story. Even during the good scenes, I was thinking, "Huh, that's interesting." instead of "Whoa! That's cool!" I'm not sure if it is the slow, measured pace of the film (which will certainly bother some people used to quicker thrills) or the unoriginality of the storyline, but I just didn't feel involved.

The other problem is the monster itself. I applaud the fact that Hammer tried to use an original creation, but is this really the best they could come up with?








A green mask with crooked teeth and Mr. Potato-Head eyes is not my idea of scary. Thank goodness they don't show this hideously bad looking creation very often!

Ah, well. It's not a bad film, by any means. It's actually a competent, little thriller. But I wouldn't rush out to see it. There are plenty of other Hammers you should watch first. 

MVP: I am going to go with Michael Ripper, a Hammer Films regular. Usually relegated to smaller roles, The Reptile really gives Ripper a good character, Tom Bailey, the local pub owner. In fact, I would say he's the real hero of the film. Though Harry Spalding is the dashing and strong lead, Tom Bailey is the one who actually gets stuff done. Everything that works is his idea - and yet Ripper's performance is humble enough that the audience is tricked into thinking Harry is the hero. Now that is a supporting actor!

TRIVIA: Filmed back to back with Plague of the Zombies, using all the same sets and many of the same actors.

BEST LINE: Mad Peter: "May I please tell you something about myself? It may not be of great interest but might help convince you that what I'm about to say is not a figment of my imagination. May I?"

6 comments:

  1. Your review makes this movie sound horrible, but it makes me want to see it. I don't know if that was your intention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it wasn't that bad. It just could've been better. I definitely think you should see it, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. It's better than The Gorgon, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the film when I was ten years old.
    It scared the crap out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this film in the early 70's when I was about ten, too. It scared both me and my cousin. We ended up fleeing to the concession area which was filled with other scared kids. I still get shivers looking at the reptile and I haven't seen it for 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kevin! Thanks for the comment and the funny story! The crowd of terrified kids at the concession stand is an amusing image. I do have a feeling that if I was younger when I saw this movie, I would have been at the concession stand, too! Watching it now, though...I don't know, that makeup looks awfully silly!!!

    ReplyDelete