Saturday, January 23, 2010

It's Complicated

It's Complicated

I'm not going to ease into this review. It's Complicated just isn't good. Despite the best efforts of a terrific cast (including Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin, and John Krasinsky), the movie just does not work.

The storyline has promise. Jane (Streep) is a divorced woman whose ex-husband Jake (Baldwin) wants back in the marriage. Ten years previously, he had an affair and left Jane for some young hottie. But now that young hottie is his wife and she wants a kid, and Jake seems to be re-evaluating his life. He realizes that he made a horrible mistake in leaving Jane. Jane can't seem to resist and an affair ignites between the two. Will she end up with her old husband or will she go for the nice architect (Martin) who also seems to be interested in her? Will she be able to sort out her conflicting feelings? Oh, it's so complicated!

There is some room for drama here. In theory, I can understand why divorcees may re-unite. Feelings can re-surface; they may be co-mingled with pain and regrets, but the fact remains this man used to be her husband and there was once a lot of love. I understand that conflicting emotions and the right set of circumstances could lead her back to him. Except the script is so shallow and the circumstances so unconvincing that it really makes no sense. You are asking yourself the entire movie, Why? Why? Why? And that's not a good thing.

The movie is a pretty big hit, though, and a lot of folks are really liking it. These people argue with me on two points. 1) It's a romantic comedy! So what if it is impossible! To which I argue - yes, it is a romantic comedy, but it is also presented with a layer of reality. This isn't like the old divorce screwball comedies of old that are so clearly superficial and woven in romantic fantasy that it all makes sense. Writer-director Nancy Meyers is not making that type of movie. She is trying to be real and funny at the same time. Sometimes that works (I rather liked her Something's Got to Give), but she can't have it both ways this time.

The other point is 2) this movie is not meant for me. I just don't get it because I'm not a middle-aged woman. To which I argue - well, I can't argue with that. This movie is not meant for me. I like to think I could still review the movie objectively, but I thought maybe these criticisms were right - until I talked to three of my friends who ARE middle-aged women and they had all the same problems I did. Whew!

I sort of feel bad trashing the movie. It's not all bad. I have a lot of respect for Nancy Meyers, who seems to be one of the very few filmmakers in Hollywood writing real roles for women these days. And the acting is all quite good. Streep is, as always, rock solid. If she can't quite overcome the weakness of her character, it is not her fault. Alec Baldwin is like Puck going through a mid-life crisis, and he puts in a rakishly entertaining performance. Steve Martin is restrained and quiet, and it's nice to see him playing a different type of character. And John Krasinski (Jim on "The Office") is very funny as the Jane and Adam's future son-in-law who accidentally finds out about their affair and is desperately trying to keep the secret. There are some good scenes - including a pretty funny party scene that I don't want to spoil - that almost makes the movie worth watching. Almost. It's just a shame that the cast is saddled down by this story.

So there you go. It's Complicated is not complicated enough. And with the talent involved, it really should have been better.

MVP: Do I have to give an Most Valuable Player to a movie I didn't like? Sigh. I guess it would be Baldwin. Baldwin is pretty funny. And if he had played this character in a movie that fully embraced its silly, romantic comedy roots, a la Awful Truth, then he would be right at home. I like that his performance implies a mid-life crisis without talking about it. He is just a big ol' kid who is in denial about his life. I don't see any of this in the dialogue, but the way. It's all in his acting. Plus, it's always nice to see Baldwin having fun - which is the main reason I watch "30 Rock" every week.

TRIVIA: Meryl Streep asked her alma mater Vasser College if the production could film the graduation scene on their campus. The College flatly refused - despite the fact that Streep is on the College's Board of Trustees and that two of her children also attend the school!

BEST LINE: At a dinner party, there is some tension between Baldwin and Streep's characters who just had a fight. John Krasinski tries to distract every one else by trying to force feed every one wine, but he is just pretty much ignored. Near the end of the scene, he makes one final attempt and says, "Hey, why am I the only one drinking wine???" It was funny...I guess you had to be there...


1 comment:

  1. I actually liked this movie but did not like Something's Gotta Give. For me, the divorced couple having an affair wasn't something I'd seen in a movie before, and it was a little refreshing to see a new twist. (Maybe I've been hiding under a rock.) John Krasinski did not do it for me. Why does he play Jim from The Office in every movie? Additionally, he seemed out of place, like at the last minute, the writers decided to throw his character into the plot for a bit of comic relief. Throughout the film, I found myself saying, "Huh? Why is he there?" Alec Baldwin was splendid. Steve Martin was heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete